While the name sounds exotic and fancy, Bruschetta is basically lightly toasted bread slices topped with anything from chopped tomatoes and olive oil or mushrooms sauteed in butter and pepper. It can also be topped with meat or beans or cheese or just about anything else. The only constants being bread, garlic and oliveoil.
Bruschetta was the first step towards my foray into the world of Italian cuisine. I love to keep it simple with just chopped tomatoes, a bit of capsicum and finely chopped onions, green chillies, chilli flakes and garlic with a generous drizzle of olive oil. I usually make it with normal sandwich bread but if you are feeling fancy then do get a french loaf. Don't worry about dropping the tomato pieces as you bite into a delicious slice of heaven. Its totally worth it :-)
La Dolce Vita!!
Tomatoes - 2, diced into small cubes
Capsicum - 1/2, diced into small cubes
Chopped Onion - 1 T, optional
Green Chilly - 1 or Chill Flakes - 1 t
Garlic - 1 clove chopped + 1
Olive oil - 1/4 cup (I used light olive oil)
Parsley flakes - 1t (you can replace it with finely chopped fresh coriander)
Salt to taste
Salt to taste
Sliced Bread - French loaf or whole wheat sandwich bread.
1.Slice one clove of garlic and dip it into a small spoon of olive oil and rub it on both sides of the sliced bread.
3. Mix the rest of the ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning / spices /salt. Set it aside for 10-15 minutes for the flavors to meld.
5. Garnish with cheese (if using).
6. Serve immediately.
- I had only cheese slices at home but if you have a bit of mozzarella, then pinch off a dollop and place it right on top before serving.
- Using French loaf would prevent the bruschetta from becoming soggy. So if its for a party, then use a french loaf. If its for your 3 pm hunger pangs - any bread would do :-).
- Instead of regular tomatoes you can use cherry tomatoes cut in half. A combination of red and yellow cherry tomatoes will make it photogenic too.
- Basil adds a wonderful depth to the dish. Roll couple of leaves and slice thinly and mix into the topping.
- Olives will also make an interesting addition. Slice and add to the ingredients.
- Guacamole would also make an interesting twist. Mash up some avocado with the rest of the ingredients mentioned in the recipe. Add a dash of lemon juice and some finely chopped coriander.